Wanna Be Paid to be a Vegetarian?

It is World Vegetarian Month in October, and they are entering folks into a drawing for up to $1,000 for abstaining from meat for one day, one week or one month!  You can read more about it here.

You can pledge to take some time off from meat here.

There are a variety of reasons to go meatless from saving money, liking cute animals, being a tree hugger, losing weight, reducing health risks, or just to see if you even can!

I myself LOVE MEAT.  But.  I often get grossed out by it, and sometimes feel sick later.  Like today after a McDonalds big beefy mess.  SICK! I also drove past huge nasty feedlots in Colorado that always make me question my choices.  We eat vegetarian often already, but mmm meat!

I was also vegetarian for almost two years because of the label on my beef jerky that used the words "POST MORTEM" to clarify that the jerky was made from cows that died as opposed to were slaughtered....mmm.  

I didn't really miss meat as there are so many really good substitutions out there.  I once served  my bible study "Beef Stew' from the "Skinny B***" books and it was AWESOME.  It was vegan and they never knew.  Till I told them, and a few folks had a second bowl!  You can find the recipe here.

I am doing a Vegan Indian Cook book review that will coincide with Meat Free October, so stay tuned for that even if you aren't into skiing meat every day.  Dr. Oz says going meat free even one day a week can do grand things for your health.

This should be fun as my Dad is on the Paleo diet and visits us weekly!  There is a vegan and vegetarian Paleo diet out there, fyi.  Look em up!

Here are some reasons to go meat free from the website:


VEGETARIAN DIETS:
  • Reduce the risk of major killers such as heart disease, stroke and cancer while cutting exposure to foodborne pathogens
  • Provide a viable answer to feeding the world’s hungry through more efficient use of grains and other crops
  • Save animals from suffering in factory-farm conditions and from the pain and terror of slaughter
  • Conserve vital but limited freshwater, fertile topsoil and other precious resources
  • Preserve irreplaceable ecosystems such as rainforests and other wildlife habitats
  • Decrease greenhouse gases that are accelerating global
    warming
  • Mitigate the ever-expanding environmental pollution of
    animal agriculture


Let me know if you want to take the challenge with me. We can go throw lentils at folks as they leave the hot dog vending cart!  And...maybe I should tell John?

No comments: