TRK: Bittman Shrimp Toast + Vegan Twixy Bars!


I haven't been snapping pics in the Tiny Red Kitchen for a bit, a while back I made super divine and rich Shrimp Toast from Mark Bittman's Book "Kitchen Express".  This was my first book of his and still my favorite.  Each recipe is a paragraph long with a 'pinch of this' and 'a few of those' as directions....EXACTLY how I like to cook, so if you HAVE TO HAVE measurements, mebbe not your book.  Or it could be freeing for you....check it out.

Hygienic application of the beaters?
Of course I made my Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day...or was this the day I made real kneaded French Bread?  Hmmm....here it is. NOPE it was real French bread from Yvonne Young Tarr's "Bread and Soup" book.  YEAH.  

THIS is how you make BREAD?


Hearty but still Frenchy....


On to the Bittman recipe:  

Sesame Shrimp Toasts
Heat the oven to 475 degrees F. Slice a baguette in half lengthwise, put the halves face up on a baking sheet, and set them in the oven while it heats. Put shrimp (about 20) in a food processor with some butter, scallions, soy sauce (about 2 tsp), a few drops of sesame oil (about 1/2 tsp), and a pinch each of sugar and salt. Pulse until the mixture forms a chunky paste. Smear the shrimp past all over the bread and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake until the shrimp paste is pink and cooked through and the bread is crisp, about 10-15 minutes. Cool a bit, then cut up and serve with a salad.

That is it!  Fabulous huh?  I love his simplicity....some of my finer dishes have come from his files. Plus he is really into whole foods like we are.

Food processor for the shrimp toast paste....OH!





 The Shrimp paste was so fragrant and gorgeous.  There are no pictures of the finished yum, we ate it tooooooo fast.  Sorry.  Definitely not a professional over here,

On to DESSERT!  

I shared these with a few friends just yesterday...and even the folks I mentioned them to wanted the recipe!



So the bad news is:  There are no pictures of the Twixy bars!  The good news is:  There are no pictures of the Twixy Bars, they were ugly and we ate em up soooo fast. They did taste like an upgrades Twix bar...even with the dates standing in for CARAMEL!  I am often disappointed by the healthy recipes....not this one.  INCREDIBLE and EASY.


You can find the amazing simple practically healthy recipe on the Bicycling Vegan Blog.  I didn't have the cool silicone baker jobber so I just pressed the doughish stuff flat on half of a greased cookie sheet.  That worked fine, but when I cut them apart etc it made for messy chocolate application....darn it.  Had to lick a lot of fingers and utensils.  *big dramatic faux put upon sigh* 


I had very thin 'crust' and thick non vegan chocolate.  


Ingredients:


Makes 8 twix-y bars

INGREDIENTS

1 c dates + water for soaking 
1/2 t vanilla 
1/4 c + 1 T agave 
2 t almond oil (or any kind you have - almond is just a good oil for desserts)
1 T almond mylk (or your favorite) 
1 c whole wheat flour 
3/4 - 1 c chocolate chips 


Find the details at her website "Bicycling Vegan: This Vegan Life"


They were ugly and GONE.  I will update with pictures when I make 'em again.  Until then, enjoy her pictures. 

No comments: