Tiny Red Kitchen: Snickerdoodle Cookies

My Mom made Snickerdoodle Cookies when I was little, and since she died when I was thirteen I can get kinda sentimental about them.  


I think these were the chocolate chip cookie of my youth and my first beginning baking efforts.  




I still laugh about a time a good friend (LAURA!) baked me the most SUCCULENT batch  of snickerdoodle cookies for my birthday, but was not forthcoming with a recipe.  It might have been a year later she confessed they were from a tub in the frozen aisle of our local Martin's Grocery Store!  


I was just happy to be able to recreate them.


I often see THIS in my kitchen









Fast forward years and years and I was moved to hit the kitchen to bake up a batch of snickerdoodles.  (I just love SAYING it!)  So here we are in the kitch, me and my two assistants.



I found a great recipe in The Farm Journal Country Cookbook.

SNICKERDOODLES

1/2 C butter or margarine
1/2 C lard 
1 1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 2/3 C sifted flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbl sugar mixed with 1 tsp cinnamon to roll cookies

Beat butter and lard until light; and sugar and beat until fluffy.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  Sift together flour, cream of tartar and baking soda and salt; add to beaten mixture.  Combine  2 TBL sugar and the cinnamon  in small bowl.  Shape dough into small balls, about 1", and roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture. place 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake in hot oven (400) 8-10 minutes.  Cookies will flatten during baking. Remove cookies and cool on rack, makes about 6 dozen.

Big Blue Archaic Farm Journal Country Cookbook!

  I usually search for ideas online but at times thumbing through a well worn cookbook offers much more aesthetic satisfaction.  In fact I have been trying to spend more time with my girls reading or playing, paging through an "in my lap" magazine or actually using my cookbooks instead of Google!  Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Interweb, but real life needs time too.




 So we mixed the Snickerdoodle Cookie dough.  


We sifted the flour, Grandma Style!


 We baked the Snickerdoodle Cookies.



And then we ATE the Snickerdoodle Cookies.
Oh yes...I am afraid I ate WAY. TOO. MANY.


I would love to hear about your favorite cookie recipes....and should I always include the recipes here?  Do y'all care?  Comment and lemme know if you are out there, and if you are HUNGRY!

EAT UP!