What I Wore Wednesday: Camel Vs. Black

Since I am hardly fashion savvy when I do talk of clothes it is usually "what not to wear" that I wore.  I have always been fairly classic in my clothing;  not too big on accessories  and purses and shoes and such.  I like a bit of retro action and once in awhile a pop of something more interesting.  I am a black girl at heart...I always feel sleek and artsy wearing black, aren't I original?

I bought a wonderfully warm bright red full length down coat last year.  It took me two years to decide on a new winter coat.  I bought it with budgeted money and birthday moolah.  It is  incredibly....un-useful.....this year.  It is too warm and too slippery to carry one or two children in.  It is big and bulky and impractical for the flow of my outings.

So I had to buy another coat.

A jacket rather.

It was on clearance for $20 and a size too small yet I LOVE it.  This little camel number has opened heavenly gates of "AHA!" and switched up my fashion viewpoint.  Kind of the way my viewpoint changed on the necessity of necklaces for my aging neck!  CAMEL!  CAMEL!  Not black or red or purple but (boring old?) camel.  I feel ridiculously pretty in such a staple and unassuming item because of the color.  With my red hair and the colors I wear I think it does so much more for me than black or any of my other basics.  Is it just me or are you guys seeing this too?  This was date night tonight.  I felt pretty stinkin' cute, yeah?

I am loving this retro hair thing I have going on.  John likes it straight but this little (second day dirty hair) 'do makes me feel about as close to a Bond Girl as I am ever gonna get!

Here is my sweet hubs who just robbed a bank.

Annnnnd these two items were in my jean and jacket pockets for date night.  Yup your peepers are not lying, those are Buzz Lightyear underpants and a binky.  What, you don't take these with you to the movies?  (And no, I do not have a boy, just a girl with a big Buzz crush I am OK indulging.  Even if it is a bit weird she has a guy on her undies.)

So I have two questions:  Your thoughts on black vs camel (!!!) and what is the weirdest accidentally inappropriate item you have discovered on your person.

11 comments:

Whitneyhibbitts said...

Love the camel on you! It just seems...warmer than black. I'm trying to remember something inappropriate I have found on myself and am drawing a complete blank. Oh, here's something--one day, I rolled down a hill a few times while at a concert. About 3 hours later I found a grasshopper in my pant leg--way up there!! Freaked me out.

Heather Novak said...

"Ahhh and that is the way of it, Grasshopper."

Stephanie Precourt said...

Love the camel! I think camel looks great with anything- including black! Lately I am trying to choose color over black, whenever possible, tho! LOVE YOUR HAIR.

Angel Schwartz said...

I love the camel on you! I have to laugh because I always fight against the black, but end up walking out with it anyways. You are brave! And it works!

Heather Novak said...

YAY!  Oh I can totally hook you up with a vintage do.  There has been talk of a hair playdate.

Heather Novak said...

Thanks Lady Schwartz.  I know black is so easy to fall back on and in your 20's in Chicago it is perfect....but now I need a softer edge, for my...softer edges? LOL.

Nancy said...

Definitely BLACK- never a question - But in actuality you are beautiful and either color would work.

I love what you said about your husband - "what bank did you rob?"

Too cute,
Nancy

Meg said...

Buzz Lightyear underpants for date night - sexy!

Heather Novak said...

See, I have always felt that way...I dunno, 75% black, 25% camel maybe?

Tracey Becker said...

Ilove the camel, actually. I have a black wool coat that lost a button and I am CLUELESS about what I will do about this situation. I hate buying coats. HATE.

You look beautiful with that do and coat. Very snazzy. And it's sad that I no longer carry pacifiers "just in case". :( I usually can find an army man or two in my coat pockets, though...

Heather Novak said...

Thanks Tracey!  Find enough buttons the same size that you like...the same or all funky different, and take it to your drycleaners.  I bet they have a tailor who can fix it up for you.  Or check the lining seams, an extra button may be sewn there.  Next to the army men!  LOL.