Tiny Red Kitchen: Whole food for kids (No Hair, Beetles, Acid, Dye etc.)

"But Mama, look what a good breakfast food these are!"
A friend from Region Moms posted on Facebook last week about human hair and beetles and chemicals in many of the processed foods we feed our kidlets and ourselves. I am blessed to stay home and I love to create in the kitchen, so we do not eat much of that kind of food in the first place. That said, is there a kid alive in the United States who doesn't eat animal or goldfish crackers? I found two awesome HEALTHY homemade versions of these....thought I would share avec tu!


And as a caveat...there could be hair in it...no hairnets in the Tiny Red Kitchen!


Whole Wheat Goldfish Crackers!


Smitten Kitchen had the recipe for a whole wheat version of these and we tried it twice now. In the two weeks I have known about it. Even the burned ones are delicious! We make them as animal crackers too, I haven't bought the gold fish cutter, but I know it is out there.

NOTE: Do not try to make a double batch, tho you will want to the second time. Unless you have a HUGE food processor it will be a bit tricky. But doable if you are a glutton for punishment.


Here are the directions from Smitten Kitchen, simplified for lazy 'mericans like me:

Yield: About 100 1 1/4 inch goldfish (Or a jillion random shapes)

1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon table salt
(I added garlic powder..EVERYTHING is better with garlic.)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine all ingredients in a food processor, running the machine until the dough forms a ball, about two minutes.

If the dough feels warm or worrisome-ly soft, wrap it in waxed paper or plastic wrap and chill it in the fridge for 30 to 45 minutes. This also makes it easier to transfer shapes once they are rolled out.

On a lightly floured surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough out 1/8-inch thick. Form shapes with a cookie cutter, dipping it in flour from time to time to ensure a clean cut. Gently transfer crackers to an ungreased (though mine were parchment-lined, because they are in despicable shape) cookie sheet with a 1/2 inch between them. Bake the crackers on the middle rack for 12 to 15 minutes, or until they are barely browned at the edges. Remove from the oven and set the cookie sheet on a rack to cool.

Portia and Libby LOVED helping!

I bought little animal cracker cutters TWICE.
One set of darling vintage-but-useless
and then the more user friendly set from Michael's Crafts. Smitten Kitchen links to where she bought a TINY GOLDFISH CUTTER! I'm pretty sure that puppy is going on my Christmas List.

Here are the marvelous critters marching to
and from the oven.
Hope it is obvious which ones the toddler cut out, vs. me channeling Martha Stewart as a 4th grader. Before she had any skills.

Then we made this awesome Whole Wheat Animal Cracker Recipe, throwing in a random amount of cocoa powder the second time. Rave reviews from both batches....I won't need to buy these again, SO EASY to make. I cannot find the original recipe, and when I did the link wasn't working anymore. Let me tell you how glad I am I wrote it down the first time!

1.5 cup Flour (I used mostly whole wheat)
1 cup Oatmeal
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 C heavy cream (I used plain fat free yogurt and almond milk instead)
1/2 c unsalted margerine (I used salted butter)
3 T honey (My Dad is a Beekeeper so I used ....more...
1/4 c sugar
1/2 t salt

Pulse all dry together in food processor, then add liquid all at once...I melted the butter first but you wouldn't need to. Pulse till it clumps together, knead a bit with flour and refrigerate dough before rolling out. Unless you are super impatient. Roll out and cut with cookie cutters, I greased my gnarly cookie sheets and baked them for TEN minutes in a 350 degree oven. But you could cook them more or less. They were FANTASTIC. The women in Child Watch at my YMCA were all asking me about them when I picked the girls up. I had them in the dipe bag for their snack and since they were all raving that they smelled so good(no one snagged one from my kids to try them, I totally would have tho!) I typed out the recipe to share and thought it would be a good one to share.

What healthy food recipes do you have that stand out? I still need a recipe to get rid of the bug secretions aka shellac aka that fine candy coating on ....M&Ms! Anyone? Anyone?

No comments: