Tiny Red Kitchen: Iced Christmas Cookies


I have THE BEST roll out sugar cookie recipe EVER. Please do tell me if you make them and disagree. The secret is powdered sugar which makes 'em melt in your mouth. Unfortunately I allowed myself to eat one yesterday which means now in less than 24 hours I have definitely consumed more than a baker's dozen. UGH.

This was my Mom's recipe, and I usually frost them with canned frosting, until the marvelous Judy Lewandowski introduced me to iced sugar cookies.

You dip the cookie face down in runny powdered sugar icing (powdered sugar, maybe 2 cups? One or two tablespoons melted butter, flavoring if you like, color if you like, and a tiny bit of milk to get it to a thick but runny consistency.
let them drip or scrape 'em lightly to keep too much icing on there...it'll pool on the wax paper and be messier. You have to lick your fingers a lot as Portia demonstrates here. Of course she washed her hands between licks,

because that would be gross, right? She was VERY good at dipping the cookies and she is not quite three, I was impressed.

Before, decorating sugar cookies meant I would picture Martha Stewart in my head, but end up with a fourth grader's deco job. And not even Martha in fourth grade. They were ugly and lip smackin' yum. Now they are GORGJUS and Yum.
YEAH! Enjoy! (She really did wash between these licks. Really.)








Katherine Lutes(Curlee) Deluxe Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter
1.5 cup powdered sugar
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1/2 t almond
2.5 cup flour
1 t baking soda
1 t cream of tartar

Mix butter, sugar, egg, vanilla and almond. Blend in flour, soda, cream of tartar. Cover and chill 2-4 hours. Preheat oven 375 degrees. Roll dough and cut cookies. 1/4 inch is a good goal for width. Bake 7-8 (or 10) minutes.

NOTE: This will not be enough, so just go ahead and double the batch right now. You are looking at four batches here. Can also make as drop cookies if you are really lazy. I never have almond extract because I refuse to be a real adult. But I have cream of tartar. Cannot explain. You really can skip both. Who knows what cream of tartar does anyway? Does ANYONE know? It might be heroin with the way I shovel these in. Hmmmm.

(OK, and I do not want to make Jesus cry by lying...PK might not have washed her hands every time. Go ahead and give your gift of these cookies back to me. I will see they find a good home.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum and so pretty! I bet Portia had a blast too! You are so very patient!! :) I love my sugar cookie recipe but my daughter thinks they are too crunchy, do these turn out more soft or more crunchy?
Lori

HeatherCurleeNovak said...

Yes Lori they are softer, even if you go longer towards crispy usually the center is soft. But I'm not patient, I am almost nasty at times when she and I cook together...but I want to have those memories so I am retraining myself away from Type A and remembering she is LITTLE and the deal is the PROCESS not the end result. WHEW.

Lonnilei said...

Ooooh, I might have to try these for my cookie-giving next year! I just now found this post, so it's a little late for 2011. Although, I *could* make a batch for "testing purposes." :-) And I love the icing idea!

BTW, I was wondering what cream of tartar does for cookies as I added it to this year's batch. Since we're BOTH pondering its meaning in life, I googled "cream of tartar purpose" and got some great feedback.

In short, the cream of tartar in this recipe compliments the baking soda (making something akin to baking powder). With that tidbit of info, I guess that it's not as optional as we'd like to think. (I was SO tempted to just leave it out this year--good thing I didn't!) As a HUGE fan of almond flavoring, I'd vote that it isn't optional, either. :-) But that's just my tastebuds talking--omitting flavoring isn't going to make or break the recipe.