Tiny Red Kitchen: "What Not To Wear"

Oh yes. This is "What NOT to Wear" in the kitchen: Tiny, red, or otherwise. Frankly My Dear, if you were wearing something tiny AND red in the kitchen, there may be fire but not much cooking happening.

Oh. Got sidetracked there(you know us Desperate Housewives).

Ahem.

OK, I do not know about you all, but when I end up cooking in my kitchen too early in the morning my wardrobe can become quite a conversation piece. Take this morning for instance. The baby FINALLY slept through the night (thought she was dead, glad husband checked) and I was well rested. I did get up at 5:00AM to festoon the place in crepe paper for my Husband's 40th birthday. Then I went back to bed. And slept until EIGHT O'CLOCK! That is like noon to me.

Nice to have the sleep but I had a pineapple upside down cake to bake.

Most of the recipes I found just used a box cake mix: NOT in MY Kitchen!
(Unless I am being super lazy just absolutely do not have time.) You may be able to see all my translated measuring and the additional cake recipe scrawled in my illegible writing. I must have gotten it right, the cake was awesome. But this isn't about the cake, is it?

Or the french onion dip pizzas I adore even though I dislike onions (Rachel Ray ROCKS. Find it Here.)

Or the buffalo hot wings that were actually Morningstar Farm vegetarian and I didn't tell anyone! (SUCKERS!)

This post is about what I WORE in my Tiny Red Kitchen.

I got up late, showered and breakfasted with the Birthday Boy and then started my party preparations a bit late wearing this:
I have placed this picture nice and big so you can fully appreciate my beauty. Let's start at my bare feet: Marvelous. Then there is the black and white nightie...which accidentally but fashionably complements my apron.

Yes, I have a baby back there. Baby Libby loves to be worn and I love wearing her. She totally cranes her little neck around me to look at what I am doing. That girl loves her food. With the tiny kitchen babywearing can be a bit tricky as she is an Octopus and a Grabbits all rolled into one. I usually just give her a knife to play with to simplify things.

Then of course we need to address the turban. Not my best look. Most folks aren't fortunate to catch a glimpse of me in it. It is actually a "Turbie Twist Hair Towel" and you can get one just like it here. Because you know you want one. It is actually fabulous for drying hair on the go even if it isn't the most smashing fashion choice in the kitchen.

When I caught a look at myself in the mirror, I realized this getup had to be confessed and acknowledged. I figured someone else should get a laugh out if it if nothing else. (Frankly in the early morning I often end up cooking 'al fresco' (and we ain't talkin' bout food, kiddies). But the in-laws were coming, the kids were up and my neighbor is a tiny bit nosy.) So this is a fine choice for the kitchen in the wee hours, probably better than this:
which I can explain. The birthday party (unbeknownst to the Hubs) had a pirate theme and this was my pirate costume. I might need to add something to the costume before Halloween, any suggestions?

Despite this crazy look, at least I am wearing red lipstick right? Here is a blog that listed ten VERY cute options to spice up your kitchen looks. My fav is the Retro Housewife one from Momo's Retro Fashions. My rubber dish gloves wouldn't look so silly!

I try to be kind in my life, both in real life and in the blogosphere so forgive me folks for saying I would NOT wear these. Ever. Can we do something about this sadness right here? Let's look at more stuff from Momo and Apronologie!

I'd LOVE to see some of your crazy kitchen attire.

5 comments:

Living the Scream said...

I think you look cute! Your baby is adorable and the perfect kitchen accessory! Loved this post it made me laugh a lot. That is always a good sign. :)

HeatherCurleeNovak said...

Well, maybe the cute babe will distract from the rest of the getup? I got a bang out of your blog..and your kid code names...all so fun. Thanks A LOT for your comment!

The Bearded Iris said...

Oh LORDY, that is good stuff. The turban makes it. Reminds me of Madeline Kahn in Young Frankenstein when she arrives as the castle wearing a "toiban" and Igor (Marty Feldman) bites her fur neck wrap. So funny!

Deb Arney said...

You are as stunning as ever! I love the look and I agree...the Twistie Turban is the greatest thing EVER!!! Mine are boring and solid colored but I think now I am going to find a fun print to rock! Your family is just as amazing as you are Mama! Keep up the good work and PLEASE keep me in stitches with your blog!

HeatherCurleeNovak said...

Deb you should get the prints...if you are going to me utilitarianly tacky...REALLY go for it! Thanks for reading, it means a lot.